Re: tape drives

On 2020-08-12 at 06:44, mick crane wrote:

> Do people use tape drives for backup ?
> I saved data to tape before but I think they were DAT and not very big
> but see that these LTO-2 tapes are 600Gb and not expensive.
> Do people use those ?

Depends on the context you're talking about.

I am given to understand that people do very much still use tape drives
for backup in a server-room / data-center type of context.

However, while I've considered using tapes for backup in my own private
environment, last time I looked the cheapest tape drive with support for
tapes large enough to be reasonable for my hard-drive capacities was
$3000 - and that's just the drive, not the tapes. That rivals - and may
surpass - the build-from-parts cost of my entire computer, which is
already nearly half storage by dollars spent.

It's possible things have changed since then, but I'd be surprised if
tape drives were economical enough to be practical in a non-commercial
environment.

--
   The Wanderer