Re: [OT] Remote SSH (dynamic IP) without third-party server

On Tue 11 Aug 2020 at 08:10:43 (-0400), Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 11:18:10PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > >
> > > or just use a generic client written in perl or python. some people
> > > really seem to be looking for ways to complicate this.
> >
> > I just can't see the point in complicating this more than I have to.
>
> DNS is the thing on the internet used to find other hosts. If you want
> to invent some other way to find hosts then have at it, but simply
> using DNS makes everything else work without complication.

Registering a domain name with a dynamic DNS service is more complex
than registering an email service, and gives me a smaller payback.
It's also something that I (and probably many others) had already
set up long ago. Maintaining the service is more complex than the
two (hardly "inventive") lines I posted here, and yields less
information than those two lines do.

Like the OP, I'm only interested in a ssh connection. Unlike the OP,
I don't mind using a major third-party service for the asynchronous
rendezvous, and am not prepared to pay for a facility that I might
use very few times per year. The suggestion was for others with
similar priorities to benefit from.

If it makes you feel better to use DNS to lookup a fixed name so few
times, fine. The domain names I own, and pay for, are in use every
day by me and many other people.

Cheers,
David.