Re: [OT] Remote SSH (dynamic IP) without third-party server

On Tue 04 Aug 2020 at 08:38:37 (-0400), Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 03, 2020 at 10:52:58PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > My main router doesn't have the facility to run that client. My
> > cascaded router does (to just those two services), but that one
> > has a broken WAN port (hence its rôle). So I presume I'd be expected
> > to run No-IP's own software on my home PC.
>
> or just use a generic client written in perl or python. some people
> really seem to be looking for ways to complicate this.

I just can't see the point in complicating this more than I have to.

$ cat /etc/cron.daily/send-hotmail
#!/bin/sh
[ -x /root/.cron/send-hotmail.sh ] || exit 0
/root/.cron/send-hotmail.sh
$ cat /root/.cron/send-hotmail.sh
#!/bin/sh
mailx -s 'ZZZ---ZZZ' myfreeaccount@hotmail.co.uk < /etc/mailname
$

… sends my home's IP address each day to a location I can read from
anywhere. Naturally it breaks the Subject line's "third-party server"
condition, but judging from others' comments, this appears to be
a matter mainly of semantics, calling servers "peers".

Some might say that having to register for an email account (if you
haven't already got one) is just the same as registering at one of
these free dynamic DNS services. Having looked at them, I would
beg to differ; and I've had a much greater and varied use out of this
free email account than I would get from the dDNS service.

I'm also not interested in using DHT services (which must also run
on "third-party servers/peers").

Cheers,
David.