copy/paste in vim (in terminal)

Hi all,

This often annoys me, but usually not to the point of posting about it.

I used to be able to use my mouse to select/paste 'normally' (for X),
when using vim in a terminal. More recently (a few years?), it doesn't
seem to work. If I'm using gvim, it's fine. If I'm using anything else
in a terminal, it's fine. Actually I think I can paste _into_ vim in a
terminal, but have to use the menus to do it, rather than just middle-click.

Any tips on getting the old behaviour back? Or reasons/tips why I
shouldn't, and what to do instead?

I'm using xfce4-terminal, and this generally only applies when I'm
editing on a remote server, or editing as root - otherwise I usually use
gvim.

Thanks,
Richard