Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

On 2020-08-09 15:22, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I wasn't thinking of recovery, but rather the case where you're at the
office and need to access a file that you accidentally left on your home
computer which is now turned off.

I have pondered putting my home directory on the Samba server, which is up 24x7 and accessible both from the LAN and from the Internet via a VPN. Most everything I do should handle this, except for Thunderbird -- e.g. I start Thunderbird on my desktop, lock the screen, go remote with the laptop, connect the VPN, and start Thunderbird. Now I have two Thunderbird instances accessing the same backing store. That sounds like a good way to trash my e-mail. The only solution I can think of is to keep the Thunderbird instances separate and keep my messages on the IMAP server.

David