Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 10:04:28AM -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
And how useful is that? There are very few duplicate files on my systems, because I use applications to eliminate duplicates. Eliminating duplicates in a live data repository is far more important than doing it on backup media.

The scenario in which it is useful is when you have moved a large amount
of data around in the source, and the next incremental backup needs to
account for that. Some tools (e.g. rdiff-backup) will generate a large
incremental backup, which contains the data for all of the moved files
in their new locations. A Borg backup merely notes the new path of the
files. You can therefore store more backups in the same amount of space.

It's actually one of the main reasons I am moving from rdiff-backup to
Borg.

--
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland
✎	 jmtd@debian.org
🔗	https://jmtd.net