Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

On 8/5/2020 9:11 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
	I prefer DAR for several reasons.  First of all, as I mentioned
	before, DAR is the only backup solution of which I am aware that can
	restore not only deleted or corrupted files, but which can also
	restore deletions. This means DAR can restore any or all files one
	chooses in a batch, but then if requested can go back and delete
	files which were deleted at a later time but prior to additional
	DAR backups.

I find it hard to believe that it's a rare feature.

The system I use (`bup`) does support that as well (every backup is
(more or less) a Git commit, so it doesn't distinguish full-backups from
incrementals), but it doesn't bother to mention it probably because it's
very basic.

Uh-uh. Full, incremenal, and decremental backups are all completely different than deletion restoral. A GIT commit is somewhat similar, as is a VM snapshot, but they also are not quite the same.

All I can say is, "I suggest you read all the features - it is quite a long list - and try it."