Re: PATH question

On Tuesday 04 August 2020 12:34:21 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 12:25:11PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I just created a /home/me/AppImage directory, moved some appimages
> > into it, and added another stanza to add that to my .profile. Do I
> > have to logout the 15 processes or so I have running now and
> > effectively restart the system to make that path take effect?
> > Closing all konsole sessions on this workspace and opening fresh
> > konsole's is not bringing that path into effect.
>
> It depends on several things.  You say you're using konsole, so does
> that mean you're running KDE?

No. TDE uptodate r14.

> If so, are you logging in via sddm,
> which is what KDE on Debian normally uses?
probably not, but I'm talking about my own shell, which is probably
started by the tde version of lightdm.

> If all of those things are
> true, then editing .profile probably doesn't do anything at all.  An
> sddm login running a Debian X11 session which runs KDE shouldn't
> be reading the .profile file.  Ever.
>
> Are you logging in on a console and running startx?

No, x is self starting.  The shells I open are on one of 8 or so on one
of many "workspaces".

> In that case,
> your .profile *will* be read, by your console login shell, and the
> changes to PATH and other environmental bits and bobs will all be
> inherited by the X11 session, then by the window manager, then by
> the terminals which are children of the window manager, and then by
> the shell run inside the terminal, and then by the programs launched
> by the shell.
>
> If you aren't using startx from a console login, then the right place
> to make modifications to PATH would be in the ~/.xsessionrc file.
>
> I *just* got done saying all this stuff last week.
>
> Now, your immediate question was how to make the PATH change take
> effect in all of your existing terminal windows, without having to
> log out and back in.  There's no single command that'll just blast
> it out to all of them.  Each one is an independent self-contained
> process, with its own separate copy of the environment.  You'll
> have to go around to each window, one by one.
>
> The most straightforward way to do it would be to paste your PATH=...
> command into each window.
>
> If you don't like that approach, you could add your PATH=... to
> your ~/.bashrc file (assuming you use bash) temporarily.  Then in
> each window, run "exec bash" to run a new shell, which will read
> the ~/.bashrc file, which will pick up the PATH change.  When all
> of the windows have been re-shelled, you can edit ~/.bashrc again
> to remove the PATH=... command, since you don't want it to stay there.

But I do want it to remain, just like the $HOME/bin that prefaces to
$PATH I can see with an echo $PATH right now. In effect making "freecad"
look for its appimage there, before spending another second scanning the
rest of the env looking for it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis