Re: Python 3 Segmentation Fault

On 8/4/20, J.Arun Mani <J.ArunMani@protonmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm using Debian Testing (upgraded from Debian 10). Today I started Python
> 3, but it was not able to interpret any commands from stdin and resulted in
> Segmentation Fault. Luckily modules (python3 -m <module>) and files (python3
> <file>) works fine though.
>
> Observed:
> $ python3
> Python 3.8.3rc1 (default, Apr 30 2020, 07:33:30)
> [GCC 9.3.0] on linux
> <No output, nothing>
> <Press any key>
> Segmentation fault

Hi... A C(omputer)C(opy) was sent to that help@python address for
informational purposes. If it bounces, that's cool, but I'll be
checking that out, too. Appreciate the lead there. :)

So.... I get this while attempting your path above:

++++ BEGIN TEST +++
$ python3
Python 3.8.5 (default, Jul 20 2020, 18:32:44)
[GCC 9.3.0] on linux
>>> print
<built-in function print>
++++ END TEST ++++

Mine's Python 3.8.5 on Bullseye.. I STARTED TO ASK: Did you run
something similar to "apt-get update" before reinstalling?

But in addition to that: Did you also try
installing/reinstalling/upgrading Python3.8? It took a few seconds of
nosing around to figure out that's where *my* "Python 3.8.5" came from
(and NOT from e.g. Python3 nor Python):

++++ BEGIN APT-CACHE POLICY ++++
$ apt-cache policy python3.8
python3.8:
  Installed: 3.8.5-1
  Candidate: 3.8.5-1
  Version table:
 *** 3.8.5-1 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
++++ END APT-CACHE POLICY ++++

N.B. as an aside: There's a Debian-Python list out there:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/

Debian-Python's description is:

"Discussion of issues related to Python on Debian systems with a
stress on packaging standards. Therefore relevant for maintainers of
Python related packages."

It's for Developer types who are either creating or maintaining
Debian's Python-based packages. They're VERY helpful when inquiries
contain all the pertinent details necessary to work through issues.

Cindy :)

PS #ThankYou! You just helped me a little, too. I'm messing around
with something that's having GTK issues... and there is... a list for
that, too! Score!

https://lists.debian.org/completeindex.html

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed.. && yet another shiny new deboostrap... *