Re: [OT] Remote SSH (dynamic IP) without third-party server

On Mon 03 Aug 2020 at 17:24:33 (-0400), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, August 03, 2020 04:38:13 PM Charles Curley wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 15:18:46 -0400
> > > In a case like that, just contact an external web site that tells you
> > > what your externally visible IP address is.  There are many of them.
> > > Mine is <http://wooledge.org/myip.cgi>.
> >
> > Ah, now you are back to using an external server, which the OP would
> > like to avoid.
>
> I have an aggravating headache, which keeps me from thinking very clearly
> (that may be the case all the time ;-), and I don't recall if anybody else
> suggested it, but emails that I receive in kmail (via pop3) show the external
> IP address in the last "Received" header.

Yes, that's the thread you're posting to. I made the suggestion about
six posts up-thread. I see that you use gmail as your submission host,
which should work satisfactorily. Those that post from gmail etc using
a browser might not be able to find the address required, because their
emails originate from the remote server, not from themselves.

> If I set up something like an auto responder, or even if I looked at those
> emails in the google webmail thingie, I could presumably get the external IP
> address.

The problem is not for a person to find their home's IP address when
they're at home, but when they're not there. Granted, the method uses
an external server, but correct me if I'm wrong, the only difference
with using these new protocols (that I know little about) is that their
"servers" are distributed, and might possibly be a little more anonymous.
Is that the point? I don't think it can be for preventing a 'single
point of failure', as there's always one of those: the person's ISP.

Cheers,
David.