Re: grub update and reinstallation

Tom Dial wrote on 8/1/20 9:31 PM:

> My experience, now on eight machines, indicates that it should be if the
> installed, configured, and used versions of grub components is
>
> 2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u2.
>
> I could be wrong, but here it has been the case for both UEFI (and root
> on ZFS) and legacy boot setups, on both i386 and amd64. The only
> exception is one root-on-ZFS VM that was slightly broken beforehand and
> declines to boot for reasons I am fairly sure are unrelated to grub
> installation.

So if one has two bootable drives (call them A and B), will this update update
the MBR on both A and B, not just the one that happened to have been used for
the most recent boot?

I ask because I have a couple of root-on-ZFS BIOS-boot machines that are both
configured as two-disk mirrors and I want to be sure that, following this
upgrade, I can still boot off either of the two disks (as I can at the moment)
without having to perform any manual changes.

The use case is, if it's not obvious, that if under normal circumstances disk
A is used for booting, but then at some point A fails (so ZFS is running in a
degraded state) I can still boot from drive B if necessary.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans