Re: grub update and reinstallation

On 02/08/2020 04:31, Tom Dial wrote:
On 8/1/20 11:09, Graham Seaman wrote:
I already reinstalled grub-pc (using a rescue-usb) , that's how I got
the system booting again. But I don't know if the current grub is
trustable or not.
My experience, now on eight machines, indicates that it should be if the
installed, configured, and used versions of grub components is

2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u2.

I could be wrong, but here it has been the case for both UEFI (and root
on ZFS) and legacy boot setups, on both i386 and amd64. The only
exception is one root-on-ZFS VM that was slightly broken beforehand and
declines to boot for reasons I am fairly sure are unrelated to grub
installation.

Tom Dial2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u2

OK, I have 2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u2 on 2 debian systems which seem to be OK. Thanks for confirming!

2.02~beta2-36 seems to be ok on a UEFI ubuntu system.

Graham

Graham

Or get the device name from the debconf database:

readlink -f $(debconf-show grub-pc 2>/dev/null | grep grub-pc/install_devices: | cut -d ':' -f2)

Cheers,
        Sven