Re: [OT] Remote SSH (dynamic IP) without third-party server

On Saturday 01 August 2020 23:52:51 David Wright wrote:

> On Sat 01 Aug 2020 at 14:02:59 (+0200), deloptes wrote:
> > riveravaldez wrote:
> > > Until now I've found a couple of alternatives using the
> > > tox-DHT-decentralized idea:
> >
> > believe me you do not want to publish your IPs on DHT like ToX - it
> > causes only troubles. You never know who is collecting those IPs and
> > for what reason. I always see SSH attacks on the firewall after
> > using torrent sites. It might be unrelated, but is suspicious
> > coincidence. It happens every time. The OpenVPN also registers
> > attempts to connect.
> >
> > If I were you I would pay for a domain and put a script that would
> > write the IP somewhere there, so that you can find it. It is cheaper
> > than paying for DDNS service and the domain belongs to you -
> > alltogether costs about 150,-/y.
> >
> > Nothing is for free!
>
> This should be possible for free, so long as you can send emails from
> home. Just register an account with, say, hotmail, and send an email
> each day (or at an appropriate interval) from your home's computer.
> Whenever you want to connect home, login to the email account and
> look at the headers of the most recent email. The first hop will be
> from your home's computer to your ISP, and gives the IP address.
> For examples, look at the first hop in many of the emails on this
> list. (Frequently, the ISP will generate a corresponding hostname
> using numbers in the IP address.)
>
> BUT, as the OP posts from a gmail account, I have no idea whether they
> can send emails from their own computer, rather than using some web
> software on a server somewhere.
>
> Currently, my IP address has been stable since I switched on the modem
> (which runs 24/7) after my Christmas break.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

My address for the link in my sig below isn't fixed, but its now been
stable into the 3rd, 5 years at $20 renewal at Namecheap. And it won't
change unless shentel changes how they do dhcp between my router and
their servers  The secret for me?  I've cloned the same MAC into both
routers, normal and a cold backup, so they are 100% interchangeable.
Both routers are running dd-wrt, and that url _is_ this machine.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis