Re: [OT] Requesting feedback for VPS/Cloud for email (MX) server?

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 07:25:42AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> On 7/31/20 3:29 AM, Didar Hossain wrote:
> > I read around a little and it seems that most cloud providers block SMTP ports
> > (25,587,465) from/t the internet as well sometimes from within their network.
> > This poses a real problem for my deployment plans. Also, note that my design has
> > separate MSA (submission), Mailstore (IMAP) and MTA (MX) nodes.
>
> I have never heard that. Many home ISPs block those ports, but VPS
> providers generally are serving a business market. My own VPS is
> with RimuHosting (https://rimuhosting.com) and they block no ports.
> The most economical one I have heard of
> (https://nosupportlinuxhosting.com/) certainly does not, and you will
> find it hard to beat the price.

Ahh, RimuHosting is indeed on my option list. The other guys are providing
CPanel/WHM preconfigured instances; I want to fully customize my minimal Buster
instance.

> You mentioned wanting your host to be physically based in India,
> but I'm not sure that's important unless you expect very heavy
> traffic and need very short response times. My Rimuhosting VPS
> has moved from New Zealand to Long Island, New York (east cost
> of the USA) to Dallas, Texas (southwestern USA, about 2400 km
> away) and for what I do (web hosting and mail, mostly) it has
> made no detectable difference.

Hosting in India is a preference, not a hard requirement. I am happy to know
that Rimu are not blocking ports.

Kind regards,
Didar

--
<knghtbrd> *snipsnip*
<rcw> oh dear, is that the sound of fortune-database editing?