Re: [OT] Requesting feedback for VPS/Cloud for email (MX) server?

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 01:52:30PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:59:06PM +0530, Didar Hossain wrote:
> > I have shortlisted Digital Ocean and Linode for my use because both of
> > datacenters in India. Is anyone using either of them for MX service?
>
> You will be fine almost anywhere (as long as you find the service
> reliable) for inbound email, but it's sending where you will have
> issues.
>
> Most cheap VM providers are a spam sewer and you will experience
> significant difficulties getting large email service providers like
> gmail to consistently accept your email if you send from such a
> network neighbourhood. I would include Linode, DigitalOcean, Hetzner
> and OVH in the "spam sewer" classification.
>
> If you're determined to do it, at least make sure you abide by the
> real world best practices for sending email:
>
>     https://bridge.grumpy-troll.org/2020/07/small-mailserver-bcp/
>
> I have to declare an interest because I operate a VM hosting
> company, but I speak on this as a recipient of email and as a member
> of the mailop mailing list where every month we see people
> complaining they can't get mail out of a spam sewer and into gmail.

When it comes to Linode I wonder how much of what you have observed
results from Linode as a service provider in general and how much from
the individuals running the actual services.  In my case, I have used
Linode exclusively for more than 4 years for both inbound and outbound
mail.  Apart from one of the IPs I was initially assigned being on some
blacklists (a situation which was easily corrected), I have not
experienced any problems with major providers (GMail, Yahoo, Microsoft,
etc.) rejecting or blocking my mail servers.

If Linode had systemic problems of the nature you describe I would have
expected to have actually experienced difficulty with mail from my
servers to those major providers.

Regards,

-Roberto

--