Re: Signature not working

On 2020-07-31 at 07:15, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Friday, July 31, 2020 05:49:14 AM Brad Rogers wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 08:55:22 +0300 Andrei POPESCU
>> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Andrei,
>>
>>> What difference does it make for a signature like his ("-- t")?
>>
>> It doesn't work.
>
> From left field (I learned that I probably shouldn't say "from the
> peanut gallery" as its origins may be racist): What doesn't work?

<snip>

> Ah, or maybe I see now -- when I reply to you, your signature (as
> above) is not copied into my reply, when I reply to t, his -- t does
> show up in the reply?

In properly-compliant mail (etc.) software, when replying to a message
which contains the '-- [newline]' signature delimiter, that delimiter
and everything that appears after it will be automatically omitted from
the quoted text.

Among possibly other things, this makes the process of properly quoting
when replying both simpler and easier to work with, except for the rare
case where you actually want to reply to something that's contained in
the signature.

There may or may not also be clients which (can be configured to) hide
the signature when displaying a message for reading. I've never noticed
one, but there might be people who would want that.

A nonstandard signature delimiter is not detected by such software, and
so this behavior does not happen. The signature lines have to be deleted
by hand on replies.

In this case, there's pre-signature-delimiter boilerplate which is being
used anyway, and so would have to be deleted by hand regardless, so the
effect is minimal. It's still a bit of a pain, and the principle
(whatever it may be if spelled out in words) is still no less important.

--
   The Wanderer