Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

On 07/30/2020 08:03 AM, Linux-Fan wrote:
Richard Owlett writes:

On 07/27/2020 10:13 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
You may wish to have a look at recutils:

https://www.gnu.org/software/recutils/

but it may not have some of the functionality you wish (although you
could build on it with shell scripts & awk, say).

I've just begun going through the manual
  [https://www.gnu.org/software/recutils/manual/]
It appears to be a good match for what I want to do.

I prefer reading manuals offline. Is it available as a single HTML document?

I have not found it as a single HTML document, but it should be possible to
generate it given that the online variant is also generated -- the HTML source tells it was generated by `makeinfo` which you can find it in package texinfo.

On a Debian system with deb-src lines and texinfo installed, I could do:

     $ aptitude source recutils
     $ mkdir sub
     $ tar -C sub -xf recutils_1.7.orig.tar.gz
     $ cd sub
     $ makeinfo --html ./recutils-1.7/doc/recutils.texi

Afterwards, the generated HTML files (not a single document, but the same
view you find online) were available in directory `sub/recutils`.

If it is just about offline reading and less about the HTML: Seems the
complete documentation is shipped as part of Debian package recutils
(access it via `info recutils`).

As I'm already familiar with it, I'll use WebHTTrack to get a local copy of the manual. Being able to jump to references [my reason to prefer HTML] is more important than ease of stepping linearly thru a document [i.e. using space key in 'info'].

Thanks.