Re: Are the assigned capacities sufficient for my setup?

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 08:53:57PM +0000, gajuph4pre@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have manually partitioned my hard disk drive as follows:
>
> /boot is assigned 200MB
> /root is assigned 10GB
> /swap is assigned 20GB
> /home is assigned 35GB
> /var is assigned 10GB
> /usr is assigned 5GB
> /usr-local is assigned 5GB
> /opt is assigned 5GB
> /srv is assigned 5GB
>
> In terms of capacity, which of the above partitions are over-provisioned?
>
> Which of the above are under-provisioned?
>
> Below are the essential information on my machine:
>
> Intel i3-1005G1 CPU
> 4GB DDR4-2666MHz RAM onboard
> 250GB SSD
> No discreet graphics card
> Machine not used for gaming or creative design work

There isn't enough information to really say whether your sizing is
appropriate.  However, I would recommend making /boot at least 1 GB and
20 GB swap seems massive overkill.  For swap, 1x - 2x system RAM is
recommended, though if you intend to significantly increase RAM, then 20
GB might be OK.  For the rest, as long as you are using LVM, the initial
sizing isn't so important, as it is trivially easy to resize the logical
volumes and their filesystems to be larger as needed.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez