Re: documentation for sddm-greeter

Folks,

I put my email on the list because I was hoping that someone knew of documentation which Google had missed. I also had read the items provided by Google at ArchLinux and the other sites.

After reading your replies, I put sddm on another of my machines, which is running Stretch. The result was that the avatars appeared on the greeter screen simply by adding another user. I made no change to sddm.conf. The machine with the problem is running Buster. Per the documentation, no change is necessary to make avatars appear on the sddm greeter screen, i.e., EnableAvatars=true is the default. Also, there was no need to add the .face.icon files. Therefore, the problem is with the installation of sddm on Buster, i.e., with Buster. My solution is to drop back to Stretch on the problem machine. I have found several other problems with Buster.

Thanks very much for your replies.

Regards,

Tom Arnall