Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

Hi,

If you decide against a command line system and  decide to go SQL / Klexi way, I want to suggest to you a relatively lesser known integrated database system - http://www.suneido.com. It has been around for nearly 20 years. It is pretty easy to design and stable. It is FOSS. The only problem is that it is available only for the Windows platform.
If you still want to go the command line way, have a look at https://www.gnu.org/software/recutils/. From the description at the site,
" GNU Recutils is a set of tools and libraries to access human-editable, plain text databases called recfiles. The data is stored as a sequence of records, each record containing an arbitrary number of named fields. The picture below shows a sample database containing information about GNU packages, along with the main features provided by recutils.",it looks like it is the program you have been looking for. (Disclaimer: I know nothing about the program.)

All the best,
ajith