Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 06:58:06PM +0100, Joe wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 10:24:25 -0400
Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 12:38:10PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>Back in 70's/80's I wrote programs as part of routine job duties.
>  {8080/8085 assembler, dBase and Paradox}
>Neither I, nor my employers, classed me as a "programmer".
>I was "Senior Engineering Tech" or "Junior Engineer".
>IOW, I was not in abject *AWE* of computers. *ROFL*
>
>Right now I'm working on a personal project.
>INPUT:	How much of what did I eat?
>OUTPUT:	How much [cal/protein/fiber] did I eat?
>
>SQL {and variants} seen to dominate all else.
>IIRC, dBase was simpler.
>
>What current FOSS system might I be comfortable with?

Take a look at kexi

Yes, that might be the way for the OP. I looked at it some years ago,
I've just installed it and looked again, and it *still* cannot connect
to an existing SQL database. It can use an SQL server, but only to make
its own databases. It can import data. But it can't share an existing
database with other types of client.

As I understood the OPs requirements, that's irrelevant. They're probably best off with sqlite hiding in the backend of a forms-based DB frontend.