Re: SANE default scanner

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 04:09:08PM +0300, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:
> On 7/27/20 3:40 PM, Nicolas George wrote:
> > Georgi Naplatanov (12020-07-27):
> >> https://linux.die.net/man/1/scanimage
> >>
> >> "The -d or --device-name options must be followed by a SANE device-name
> >> like 'epson:/dev/sg0' or 'hp:/dev/usbscanner0'. A (partial) list of
> >> available devices can be obtained with the --list-devices option (see
> >> below). If no device-name is specified explicitly, scanimage reads a
> >> device-name from the environment variable SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE. If this
> >> variable is not set, scanimage will attempt to open the first available
> >> device. "
> >
> > Unfortunately, it does not work: for GUI tools, this environment
> > variable pre-selects the device in the device selection dialog, but it
> > does not make it appear if it is not detected (?!???@!%@?!!!?).
> >
> > Also, it works for only one scanner.
>
> I'm not sure how you share the scanner(s) - with saned or if those are
> some kind of network scanners.
>
> In case you share these scanners with saned then this article may be
> helpful for you.
>
> https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/setting-up-a-network-scanner-using-sane/
>
> My understanding is that you have to add scanners'  IP addresses in
> /etc/sane.d/net.conf

That file serves as ACL for saned (server part), and you're supposed to
add clients' IP there. It does not seem to affect xsane or scanimage
(client parts) in any way.

I'm interested in knowing how to set a default device for xsane too
(which could also disable annoying broadcast-based discovery on every
xsane launch), but it looks like there's no way of doing it.
SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE is an interesting idea, but ultimately is no
different from a shell alias.

Reco