Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 01:38:10 PM Richard Owlett wrote:
> Back in 70's/80's I wrote programs as part of routine job duties.
>    {8080/8085 assembler, dBase and Paradox}
> Neither I, nor my employers, classed me as a "programmer".
> I was "Senior Engineering Tech" or "Junior Engineer".
> IOW, I was not in abject *AWE* of computers. *ROFL*
>
> Right now I'm working on a personal project.
> INPUT:	How much of what did I eat?
> OUTPUT:	How much [cal/protein/fiber] did I eat?

There is a FOSS (I believe -- I'm pretty sure the source is available) program
that does that -- can't recall the name -- will check my notes this evening.

It is a little less slick than some of the commercial programs, but it does
import a database with the nutritional values of quite a few foods (it's from
a federal agency, like the FDA or something).  It would be nice if more people
worked on it and brought it up to date.  (For one thing, it uses an older
version of that database -- it should be set up so that it can easily link to
any new database that comes along._

> SQL {and variants} seen to dominate all else.
> IIRC, dBase was simpler.
>
> What current FOSS system might I be comfortable with?

Well Libre / Open Office has a database that might be somewhat similar to
Microsoft Access (and thus Paradox and dBase).

I have been working towards my own free format database (ala askSam) for a
number of years (I don't want to say how many), but it does work for me.