Re: issues with storage media

Parted / gparted are useful tools. The live .iso is very useful if you have an unknown disk - you can boot into linux to examine disk formats. The crucial thing to know is that most partitions can be recovered with enough care.

USB keys - try and buy a known brand. Stick small labels on them. Know what you use them for. They will still fail sometimes - don't rely on them for longest term storage. Back up files you want to other media as well/