Re: issues with storage media

On 2020-07-25 10:59, Semih Ozlem wrote:
Hi

Hello.  :-)

As operating system I use debian 10 (.2 gnome) and ubuntu 18, 19, (recently
20).

Question 2 I use usbs to store the files I work with. Quite a few times
when working with linux systems, the usbs refused to mount, giving wrong fs
type blaah blaah error. This was a usb that I used and stored files to
working under linux, and I do not remember the exact format on the disk. I
tried various programs to recover the files, and in some cases I was able
to recover some in other cases I was not able to. Sometimes I was able to
format the usb to be able to use it again, a few times I was unable to.
What methods are available to recover data, and what to do when something
like this happens.

fsck -- for Linux file systems

zpool scrub -- for ZFS pools and file systems

ddrescue -- to copy out blocks of a failing device

It has been too long since I used tools for recovering deleted files.

I suggest that your put your data onto a reliable storage platform. Choices including buying and configuring a network attached storage (NAS) appliance, installing and configuring a NAS operating system distribution on the hardware of your choosing, and building a file server using the hardware and software of your choosing. This list would be most helpful for the third choice using Debian.

Next, I suggest that your implement disaster preparedness -- backups of data and OS configuration settings, images of operating system disks, and archives of the prior two. Keep your backups, archives, and images off-line when not in use. Keep some portion of your media off-site (e.g. rotate media on a schedule).

David