Re: problems with GRUB

anthony gennard wrote:
> Almost 15 months ago I suffered a massive stroke and am left with memory
> loss. I am 90 years of age, and i`m westling with trying to recover some
> computer skill.
>
> I have managed to build a further machine and double installed Debian
> 10 from a CD received with Debian magazine and Windows 10. The install
> process installed Grub in two parts and makes it difficult to catch the
> option to launch the first, it flies passed too fast. I`m too slow to
> react. I am reluctant to try to set up a graphic. How do I do that please.

Hold down an arrow key as the machine boots. Grub will stop the
countdown.

> The second problem I have is with the second machine with a very old
> install for which I cannot remember the login details. I have done
> research but I think the advice is not correct. Does anyone have any
> advice please.

Generically, you can change the root password this way:

Use the arrow key method to stop GRUB from booting immediately.

Choose to edit the boot command.

Add the string

    init=/bin/sh

to the command line, then boot.

It should make you root, with no network and no services
started.

    mount -o remount,rw /

will make the disk read/write instead of read-only. Now run the
passwd command to reset root's password. You will not need to
supply the old one.

Finally:

    sync

and then reboot or power-cycle.