Re: node.js updates processor microcode?

Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> wrote:

> I just installed npm on a Stable (Buster) system with apt. It brought
> in dozens of other packages. Then I worked on other stuff while it
> downloaded and installed. When I came back, a curses prompt was
> informing me that it had already updated my kernel microcode. Is that
> something node.js is really supposed to do. That wasn't a confirmation
> prompt, it was, "I already did this, do you want to restart services?"

I guess, you have the package "needrestart" installed. This program
warns you about services that need to be restarted after a library they
use has been changed.

It also warns if a new microcode-package was installed *sometime* in the
past and the system hasn't rebooted yet.

If you don't regulary install packages or use unattended-upgrades, the
installation of the new microcode-package may have been days or weeks
ago and you just didn't remember it, seeing the reminder from
needrestart surprised you.

Grüße,
Sven.

--