Re: [Sid] ahci: disk order

On 7/24/20, Grzesiek Sójka <pld@sojka.co> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I noticed that SATA disks appear in random order. More precisely, I have
> two disks, HDD and SSD. Sometimes HDD=/dev/sda, SSD=/dev/sdb and
> sometimes HDD=/dev/sdb, SSD=/dev/sda. Is there any way to fix the disk
> order? I would like the disk connected to port 1 to be sda, disk
> connected to port 2 to be sdb and so on (like it was in the past)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

DISCLAIMER: I acknowledge this is the kind of information request
redirect that gets dissed, but still... :)

Are you working on a project that could implement "label" instead? I
LOVE THEM... ever since I finally understood them.

Over time, I've gone from /dev/sdx to "UUID=" to... LABEL. For /dev &
UUID, I ALWAYS had to do what I'm imagining you doing on some level. I
ALWAYS had to rely on something like "blkid" to get things pointed in
the right direction.

These days, I still do turn to blkid for reassurance once in a while,
mostly just to confirm if something is or is NOT actually functionally
plugged in. Otherwise, I've got labels that are "rational" *to my
brain* such that I can whip them out in e.g. terminal commands without
having to stop and look at anything first...

Gparted is where I set mine up, by the way. EVERY ONE needs to be
different for this to work successfully. There appears to be one
possible exception to that, but just.. *GACK* on that (GRUB v. GPT)
topic.

You pick memorable names that are uniquely identifiable so that
there's no chance of a system-wide clash. Mine are named based on the
function of the partition and that partition's hand chosen physical
hard drive ID, e.g. "nikon-hd1".

Those labels work in /etc/fstab, "sudo mount", and other fun places..
that I can't remember offhand just now

Just thinking out loud..

Cindy :)
--