Re: proper config for specific pks upgrade from stable to testing

Greetings Andrei,

> Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 at 12:13 PM
> From: "Andrei POPESCU" <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: proper config for specific pks upgrade from stable to testing
>
> On Vi, 24 iul 20, 08:37:52, daggs wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I want to upgrade these specific pkgs from stable to testing:
> > libvirt-clients/stable,now 5.0.0-4+deb10u1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 6.4.0-2]
> > libvirt-daemon-system/stable,now 5.0.0-4+deb10u1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 6.4.0-2]
> > libvirt-daemon/stable,now 5.0.0-4+deb10u1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 6.4.0-2]
> > libvirt0/stable,now 5.0.0-4+deb10u1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 6.4.0-2]
> > qemu-kvm/stable,now 1:3.1+dfsg-8+deb10u6 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 1:5.0-6]
>
> Not available in buster-backports. Did you investigate why? The archives
> of the debian-backports list might be a good start.

from the search, I see discussion from 2018 about a related hard freeze, is it still an issue 2 ears later?

> > so I've updated my files as such:
> > # cat /etc/apt/preferences
> > Package: qemu-kvm
> > Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
> > Pin-Priority: 900
> >
> > Package: libvirt-clients
> > Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
> > Pin-Priority: 900
> >
> > Package: libvirt-daemon-system
> > Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
> > Pin-Priority: 900
> >
> > Package: libvirt-daemon
> > Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
> > Pin-Priority: 900
> >
> > Package: libvirt0
> > Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
> > Pin-Priority: 900
>
> With only these pins the rest of testing is priority 500, same as
> stable. Probably not what you want.

so I need to demote the rest of testing is priority to below 500?

> > # cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> > deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main
> > deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main
> > deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main
> > deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main
> > deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-backports main
> > deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-backports main
> > deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free
> > deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free
> > deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing-updates main
> > deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free
> > deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security testing-security main
> >
> > but when I issue upt-get upgrade, it looks like apt tries to upgrade unrelated pkgs like lsb-release, lsof and grub.
> > is that expected?
>
> Most likely because testing now has the same priority as stable,
> 'apt policy' will tell.

you are correct, free an main has the same priority as stable.
I need to demote them correct?

> > I want to upgrade only these pkgs + it's deps.
> > what am I doing wrong?
>
> You are trying to mix releases - which is inherently dangerous - without
> a proper understanding of pinning and priorities.

I have no choice, as reported in this post: https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2020/07/msg00114.html
I'm having issues passing an wireless usb adapter to a vm.
tested the adapter on my main machine working with latest libvirt, qemu and kernel in the same logic (vm usb passing) and it works great.
so I've upgraded the kernel to 5.6 (on the main machine I have 5.7 but I doubt it is the cause), now I want to upgrade libvirt and kvm to the testing one to see if the issue is solved.

> If you insist on doing that I would recommend you replicate the
> configuration for -backports.
>
> 1. pin 'testing' to 100
> 2. try installing the package you really need[*] with
>
>     apt install -t PACKAGE1 PACKAGE2
>

> Note: always check your pinning configuration with 'apt policy' and/or
> 'apt policy PACKAGE' (as applicable).
>

> If it breaks you get to keep all pieces :)
>

> [*] in general you shouldn't specify dependency packages explicitly, let
> APT handle that.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --