Re: Slic3r --gui won't run

On Monday 20 July 2020 10:11:40 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, July 20, 2020 06:58:10 AM Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > "the latest candidate version" would be more accurate. If you think
> > this wording is an improvement feel free to file a wishlist bugs
> > against 'apt' (the package).
>
> Thanks -- I'll probably let that percolate in my head for a little
> while before I file a bug -- it's probably good wording, but there is
> no need to jump to a conclusion -- maybe we (collectively) will come
> up with something better or recognize this as the best choice.
>
> > > I'm guessing that someone would describe the situation of the old
> > > openssh- client as being pinned, but does that word ever appear
> > > somewhere to describe the situation?  (I mean like, can you run
> > > apt-get (or something else) and get a list of pinned packages with
> > > the word "pinned" next to them?
> >
> > You are looking for 'apt policy' (with no package).
>
> Thanks!  (But, nothing shows up there as pinned -- I probably have a
> lot more to learn here, but, as my current problem is solved, may not
> dig into it.)
>
> (I would like to help Gene with his problem, but I think you're giving
> the best advice on this atm.  (I was trying to tell him that the
> problem package(s) that he is looking for is (are) those named in the
> apt-get install command, but don't think I was very clear.)

What is upsetting me is that there is not, from the wording coming back
out of apt, any way to identify the package that needs (apparently) to
be downgraded, that starts this whole mess.  Since this all seems to
start with the slic3r's --gui option, IMNSHO it should have been
something that apt should have solved for when I installed slic3r. But
apparently the author didn't list the Depends pulled in if the --gui
option was enabled.

FWIW, it installs and runs fine on a pi4 running buster 10.4. But I don't
have space close enough to the pi4 to put the printer within reach of
it. I've 3 other machines, all running wheezy because thats the last
RTAI kernel the linuxcnc folks have built, but wheezy of course is done,
so if I want to put slic3r on one of those, I'll have to build it from
scratch.

Change of subject, what do we have that can process and display a .step
file?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis