Re: psu or firmware?

On 18/07/2020 13:39, Dan Ritter wrote:
Graham Seaman wrote:
I'm running Debian on an old Dell Vostro 1520 - old and slow, but has been
working fine. Recently the PSU has stopped charging. It is genuinely empty;
if I power down and then try to boot with no power cable attached the laptop
is completely dead.

I guess it's most likely this is a hardware failure, but since I'm unlikely
to find a viable replacement for the battery I'm hoping there might be some
firmware or other software change that could account for it.
A quick search shows lots of people selling replacement
batteries from $12 to $60 US, most in the $20-25 range.

Where did you find them? All I can find on ebay or elsewhere is AC adapters (I'm searching on 'dell vostro 1520 psu' or 'dell vostro 1520 power supply', but all the results returned are for adapters, not power supplies - even when the description says 'power supply' the photo shows an adapter).

I'm in the UK, so looking for UK suppliers - don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Graham

A secret of many laptop batteries, including this one, is that
the battery is largely a container to hold 18650 lithium battery
cells, which can be purchased separately.

Now, if the motherboard charging circuitry is toast, this won't
work, and you should consider a new machine.

-dsr-