Re: Network services fail on startup

On Ma, 14 iul 20, 07:11:39, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Lu, 13 iul 20, 18:41:39, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > >
> > > The interface has a pre-up script that has over 1,000 iptables add lines
> > > for blacklists, and I suspect this is slowing things down enough to cause
> > > trouble.  I was not having problems when the script was shorter.
> >
> > P.S. as far as I understand nftables should handle these much better
> > than iptables. May or may not help with your actual problem.
>
> iptables is currently a frontend to nftables.
>
> The way to handle a giant blocklist efficiently is ipset, which manipulates
> large groups of IPs that will be matched for a particular rule.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on either iptables or nftables, this is
just based on some documentation I read.

As far as I understand, while iptables (in buster) is indeed a frontend
to nftables, nftables has new features that are not usable with iptables
syntax.

https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Moving_from_iptables_to_nftables

In particular regarding ipset, this page suggests manual translation is
necessary:

https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Moving_from_ipset_to_nftables

Kind regards,
Andrei