Re: how to install cherrytree?

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 5:34 AM Marco Möller <talby@debianlists.mobilxpress.net> wrote:

In the past, on Debian/buster, I did this, not having encountered
problems, but of course I cannot give you any warranty for your
installation (! Note that my notes and experience is not for the most
up-to-date version of cherrytree !):

1.) download the latest version of the required dependency which is no
more in current stable or newer Debian repositories:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd64/python-gtksourceview2/download

2.) download the cherrytree *.deb package:
https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/#downl

3.) install both packages with the following commands:
apt --no-install-recommends --no-install-suggests install
./python-gtksourceview2_2.10.1-3_amd64.deb
apt install ./cherrytree_0.38.10-0_all.deb

Later on I moved to this solution, which I am currently running on
Debian/testing: if you consider the usage of  flatpak  to be an option
for you then could try it. Actually I recommend this over the first,
above mentioned older solution.Keep in mind that using flatpak there
will be install a "containerized, very well defined mini-linux
environment" for you, which is then taken advantage of by the apps which
you install (by a flatpak command) to run "inside" this flatpak base
environment. The base flatpak installation and a first graphical app
depending on Gtk, like cherrytree, will occupy some 2 GB of storage space.

1.) install  flatpak
apt install flatpak

2.) install cherrytree as an flatpak app; this will automatically
install also all the by cherrytree needed flatpak base environment
components
flatpak install flathub com.giuspen.cherrytree

3.) run and enjoy cherrytree
flatpak run com.giuspen.cherrytree

I am using cherrytree like this for a year now without having run into
any trouble.

thanks friends!
-------------------------------------
kaye@laptop:~$  flatpak install flathub com.giuspen.cherrytree
Note that the directories
'/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share'
'/home/kaye/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share'
are not in the search path set by the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable, so
applications installed by Flatpak may not appear on your desktop until the
session is restarted.
Looking for matches…
error: No remote refs found similar to ‘flathub’

if it matters, my system:
Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4
Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)