Re: how to install cherrytree?

On 13.07.20 22:42, kaye n wrote:
Hello Friends!
Having trouble installing cherrytree app.

/kaye@laptop:~$ sudo apt-get update/
[sudo] password for kaye:
Hit:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease
Hit:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
Get:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease [51.9 kB]
Hit:4 https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster InRelease
Fetched 51.9 kB in 6s (8,526 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
/kaye@laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install cherrytree/
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package cherrytree

thank you for your time!
by the way thank you for the calculator suggestions in my previous thread.

In the past, on Debian/buster, I did this, not having encountered problems, but of course I cannot give you any warranty for your installation (! Note that my notes and experience is not for the most up-to-date version of cherrytree !):

1.) download the latest version of the required dependency which is no more in current stable or newer Debian repositories:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd64/python-gtksourceview2/download

2.) download the cherrytree *.deb package:
https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/#downl

3.) install both packages with the following commands:
apt --no-install-recommends --no-install-suggests install ./python-gtksourceview2_2.10.1-3_amd64.deb
apt install ./cherrytree_0.38.10-0_all.deb

Later on I moved to this solution, which I am currently running on Debian/testing: if you consider the usage of flatpak to be an option for you then could try it. Actually I recommend this over the first, above mentioned older solution.Keep in mind that using flatpak there will be install a "containerized, very well defined mini-linux environment" for you, which is then taken advantage of by the apps which you install (by a flatpak command) to run "inside" this flatpak base environment. The base flatpak installation and a first graphical app depending on Gtk, like cherrytree, will occupy some 2 GB of storage space.

1.) install  flatpak
apt install flatpak

2.) install cherrytree as an flatpak app; this will automatically install also all the by cherrytree needed flatpak base environment components
flatpak install flathub com.giuspen.cherrytree

3.) run and enjoy cherrytree
flatpak run com.giuspen.cherrytree

I am using cherrytree like this for a year now without having run into any trouble.

If your host desktop environment is Plasma (KDE) and not Gtk (GNOME) based, then you may want to consider to also add Debian package xdg-desktop-portal-kde to your KDE Plasma installation from the usual Debian repository with the usual apt command, so that GTK apps can use KDE dialogs, and also flatpak apps can access native KDE dialogs. etc. I finally have kept a note stating the following concerning the xdg-desktop-portal-kde addition, although I cannot explain anywmore why I made this and kept the note on it: export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 add this to the end of your ~/.profile assuming your system doesn't use either ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login.

Good Luck! Marco.