Re: Re: Re: problem with GeForce GTX 1050

Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

Check the time stamp on the Xorg.0.log file.  You are probably reading
the wrong one.

Indeed I was.  Thanks.

Since Debian 9, there are *two* possible locations for the Xorg.0.log
file:

/var/log/               (if X was executed with root privileges)
~/.local/share/xorg/    (if X was executed without root privs)

So I'm curious.  Since X is running before I log in, how does it know to write the log file to my home directory?

And if this is a newer thing, it's puzzling that booting the newer kernel causes X to write to /var/log while under the older kernel it writes to my directory.