Re: problem with GeForce GTX 1050

On 13/7/20 12:45 am, David Bridgham wrote:

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

Check your Xorg.0.log, it should tell you what driver it is loading and
might hint at why it's not using nouveau.

Found something very odd when trying to do this.  When I boot the older kernel, the one that works, Xorg doesn't appear to write the log file.  The log file contains the kernel version number and it's never the older one.  I'd meant to compare the two to see where they differ.

However, on reading through the log file from when it fails, I see that it's getting an error about not being able to open /dev/dri/card0.  And, indeed, the directory /dev/dri is missing.  When I boot the older kernel (5.5.0-2), that directory and file are there and everything works.

So what creates this device and what might have changed that it's no longer being generated?

Here is some general advice, every time I have had a video card stop working like that under Debian, it is usually some package not upgraded or removed or just not there after an upgrade.

Most usually fixed by apt-get install <some package>  which I have found by some judicious googling.

And make sure you have the right kernel headers for your kernel!

Thanks,
Dave

--
And I ran forty red lights in his honour