Re: Bullseye: Linker Can't Find libgps Library

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 22:04:54 +0200
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> I am rather surprised that it does, for I have learned that you always
> need to put libraries to link with at the end of the gcc commandline,
> i.e.
>
> gcc -Wall -ggdb -o gpsclient gpsclient.c -lm -lgps
>
> should work.

Bingo.

charles@white:~/versioned/gpsclient$ gcc -Wall -o gpsclient gpsclient.c -lm -lgps
gpsclient.c:72:2: warning: #warning Setting up for API version 9.0 [-Wcpp]
   72 | #warning Setting up for API version 9.0
      |  ^~~~~~~
charles@white:~/versioned/gpsclient$

Worked correctly. Thank you. Interesting.

This is a change from Buster, gcc (Debian 9.3.0-14) 9.3.0 versus gcc
(Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0. I conjecture the reason is so that gcc can
accommodate multiple source files on one line, each with their own
libraries. Something like:

gcc -Wall -o snark foo.c -la -lb -lc bar.c -lb -lc -ld

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/