Re: Putting a Debian Repository in a Mint 20 System for Chromium

On 7/8/20 18:11, Kenneth Parker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> [background]
> I happily run Chromium under, both Debian Buster and Devuan Ascii (non
> SystemD equivalent to Stretch).  It comes with proper .deb files and
> installs quite well, thank you very much.
>
> Somehow, Ubuntu decided to make Chromium a Snap Package.  (I'm reading the
> articles about it now.  I don't like it).
>
> I am not running Ubuntu (except as a Cloud Server, but that will change
> eventually to Debian).
>
> *But*, I decided to install Mint 20, to help out a Friend, who is doing
> some work I support under it.  Mint hates Snap, even though it's based on
> Ubuntu.  However, they didn't take the step themselves to put the Debian
> Repositories in for Chromium.
> [/background]
>
> Now, when running Debian Systems, people caution against mixing
> Repositories from other Distributions.  Does this work the other way?
> Would I get into trouble, adding the Buster (or Bullseye) Repositories,
> only for installing Chromium from it?

I also am not a fan of things like Snap. But for ample reasons it
probably would be a rather bad idea to throw a Debian repository into
the Ubuntu-based Mint sources.list.

Linux Mint Debian Edition might be a better choice if you do not rely on
packages on Ubuntu features Debian does not have. The present release
live dvd appears based on Debian 10.2; /etc/os-release shows:

PRETTY_NAME="LMDE 4 (debbie)"
NAME="LMDE"
VERSION_ID="4"
VERSION="4 (debbie)"
ID=linuxmint
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.linuxmint.com/";
SUPPORT_URL="https://forums.linuxmint.com/";
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://linuxmint-troubleshooting-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/";
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.linuxmint.com/";
VERSION_CODENAME=debbie
DEBIAN_CODENAME=busters

> I'm asking here, because I'm sure people here have experience
> using derivatives, such as Ubuntu and Mint.  (And yes, Mint has a Forum,
> but I got into trouble, for "suggesting" that they provide an Expert Text
> Mode Install for Mint, like Debian does.  Yes, I needed help with the
> Ubiquity System Mint uses for its Install).
>
> [Humor]
> There have been discussions about not creating a FrankenDebian System.  How
> about FrankenMint or FrankenUbuntu one?
> [/Humor]
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kenneth Parker