Re: Putting a Debian Repository in a Mint 20 System for Chromium

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 8:47 PM Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
Kenneth Parker wrote:
> I happily run Chromium under, both Debian Buster and Devuan Ascii (non
> SystemD equivalent to Stretch).  It comes with proper .deb files and
> installs quite well, thank you very much.

Chromium is the open-source version of Chrome. You can also get
Chrome itself from Google, if that's what you want. That's not
an open-source package.

> Somehow, Ubuntu decided to make Chromium a Snap Package.  (I'm reading the
> articles about it now.  I don't like it).
>
> *But*, I decided to install Mint 20, to help out a Friend, who is doing
> some work I support under it.  Mint hates Snap, even though it's based on
> Ubuntu.  However, they didn't take the step themselves to put the Debian
> Repositories in for Chromium.
> [/background]
>
> Now, when running Debian Systems, people caution against mixing
> Repositories from other Distributions.  Does this work the other way?
> Would I get into trouble, adding the Buster (or Bullseye) Repositories,
> only for installing Chromium from it?

The underlying reason for avoiding mixing repos is that you
create a system where things stop working and you might not be
able to get back to usable.

This is least likely to happen when you install a repo that only
adds an application package: if the package doesn't work, you
know what went wrong and how to remove it.

In my earlier search, I missed  a rather important article [1] in the Mint Install Guide which, among other things, mentions "Apt Pinning", and even does a Shoutout to Debian Buster.  I think this "Technique" will work for me.

It is most likely to happen when you install a repo with lots of
packages, especially libraries that many other packages depend
on.

> [Humor]
> There have been discussions about not creating a FrankenDebian System.  How
> about FrankenMint or FrankenUbuntu one?
> [/Humor]

In the end, you are responsible for what you do. When you know
what you are doing, it is much safer to experiment than when you
don't know what you are doing.

+1  --  We are *absolutely* responsible for what we do!

You might try getting the Debian Chromium package directly,
without a repo. It won't update automatically, but that might
also be what you want.

That will also be an option if I have problems.  But I'm going to try the "Apt Pinning" technique, mentioned above and in this Article.  Apparently, it limits what is installed from a particular Repository, so that I don't "Busterize Mint".

[1] https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/chromium.html

Thank you, by the way!

Kenneth Parker