Re: [offlist] posting style [was Re: Using .XCompose]

On Mi, 08 iul 20, 02:52:02, Ajith R wrote:

> Do I understand the style correctly now?

Mostly. Think of it as "conversational" style, with the reply following
the portion of text it addresses.

Other text should be removed, unless it provides useful context (would
your message make sense if read by someone not familiar with the issue
and without access to previous messages?).

> BTW, a query about how the original message is quoted with '<'. Is it
> done by hand or does any email clients do it automatically?

Most email clients should do this automatically when you select "plain
text" mode.

HTML messages may look completely different at the receiving side, which
is why they should be avoided. One can use other characters for
emphasis, like *bold*, /italics/, _underline_.

> Is it necessary that each line s marked with '<'? Or is it okay to
> demarcate the quote at the start and end as I do?

In my opinion the most important part is clearly distinguishing between
quote and reply, as well as properly attributing quotes (who wrote
what).

Using '>' makes it easier for list recipients to read your message, e.g.
my email client is configured to use different colours depending on the
quote level.

Kind regards,
Andrei