Re: Firefox non-ESR update needed

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 22:10:54 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 07 iul 20, 09:26:58, Peter Ehlert wrote:
> >
> > I had that conversation with the IT goofball for my bank (credit
> > union) last
> > Monday and Tuesday when they "updated" their crapware and blocked
> > me.
> >
> > it was far from painless but a couple links to the security
> > statements in the Debian Wiki was enough to get a complete
> > backpedal and endorse Debian Stable with Firefox-ESR.
> > Please don't use them as a barometer.
>
> +1 on not using banks' IT as reference. The ones at my bank can't
> even get the decimal separator right.

Yes, my bank occasionally becomes inaccessible to FF, though not
usually for more than about a week, when a cluebat has been wielded. I
switch to Midori until it is fixed. It's a more limited browser, but it
usually seems to handle sites that cause problems for FF.

An odd one recently: a web-only insurance company was returning a 'down
for maintenance' page. After two days, I thought 'this can't be right',
and fired up Midori, and sure enough, no problem. I haven't bothered
finding out what Midori pretends to be (certainly no web designer will
have heard of it), but websites that block FireFox are not good news
for their owners. Had I not already had an account with these people,
this would have been a warning to look elsewhere.

You just can't get the staff...

--
Joe