Re: Very old hardware...

On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 19:19:35 +0200
"007@caiway.net" <007@caiway.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Jul 2020 19:17:33 +0200
> Davide Lombardo <careless@live.it> wrote:
>
> > Good evening Debian User, I have found an old PC with these specs:
> > CPU: Pentium III 700 Mhz;
> > DRAM: 64 MB SDDR
> > GPU: RIVA TNT-2
> > HARDISK: 10 GB
> > FLOPPY DISK DRIVE
> > MODEM 56K
> > In the receipt is written 3,000 Lire (1,500) Euro of today...
> > Do you think I can install something different than the already
> > installed WIN98 system ?
>
> You could try some of those old floppy distros:
>
> https://linuxmuseum.freedombox.rocks/FloppyDistros/
>
> I don't think they have an installer to harddisk

I have very fond and vivid memories of my first experience with linux:
BasLinux, booted from floppies and run from a ramdisk, on a typical
system with Windows installed. I still remember the electric thrill of
typing an 'insmod' command for the ethernet driver module, and then (I
suppose after some sort of dhcp invocation) finding myself with a fully
working networking connection - amazing!

I don't remember what version I used, but the current
version, 3.50, boots from a couple of floppies, and requires a 386 and
12 MB of ram. It provides various options for a GUI, and it can be
installed to a hard drive:

https://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/

Celejar