Re: Grub cannot see my new hard drive

Hi,

deloptes wrote:
> I am not sure if grub can boot off GPT without UEFI.

That's the use case of the GRUB BIOS boot partition with Type GUID
21686148-6449-6e6f-744e656564454649.
See "GPT" section in
  https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/BIOS-installation.html

It is necessary with GPT because the GPT header block occupies room where
GRUB would classically store follow-up code for the code in the MBR.

> The GPT  is part of the UEFI specs

Which is very friendly of Intel, because with GPT we don't need to look at
Wikipedia for technical specifications.

But, as said previously, old PC-BIOS does not care for partitions.
GRUB does. Normally it can handle partition tables if the necessary GRUB
modules are loaded. For GPT: insmod part_gpt

Have a nice day :)

Thomas