Re: Very old hardware...

Hi,

economically and ecologically it makes few sense to let old computers do
real work, even if they are for free. The ratio of power consumption to
computing power is like with an old 100 W light bulb.

But as exhibition object 'tis ok. :))

Davide Lombardo wrote:
> > CPU: Pentium III 700 Mhz;
> > DRAM: 64 MB SDDR
> > Lire

Ok. That would be year 2001 ?

Debian 2.2 "Potato" was contemporary. 3 CD images for "i386" are at
  https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/older-contrib/2.2/
I guess that CD 1 would suffice to get a usable system.

Or 3.0 "Woody" from 2002, as the machine was high-end at that time.
The archive has an all-in-one DVD image
  https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/3.0_r6/i386/iso-dvd/debian-30r6-dvd-i386-binary-1.iso
If you can get an old Parallel-ATA DVD drive, then it should work even
with an IDE controller from 2001, if that controller is good for tapes
(known as EIDE/ATAPI).
Else there are 7 CD images
  https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/3.0_r6/i386/iso-cd/
As window manager i advertise fvwm2, freshly introduced in Woody.
(On Potato it was probably the predecessor fvwm. Good enough.)

Georgi Naplatanov wrote:
> I think that for desktop environment you'll need 1GB RAM at least.

I wonder what Tiny Core Linux offers with "48 MB of RAM ... or less".
  http://www.tinycorelinux.net/intro.html
Damn Small Linux states to run on 16 MB.
  http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Donate it to the curbside pickup.

When the Big Entropy Re-Collector reboots you in the year 1,000,000 AD
you will be accused of cruelty to hardware. Have a good excuse ready.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas