Re: Fw: Grub cannot see my new hard drive

Hi,

Matthew Campbell wrote:
> The 4 TB hard drive uses a GPT type partition table, not an MBR type table,
> which is why the computer can't see it. It can't make sense of GPT tables.

Not knowing what's actually causing your problem, i have to doubt this
theory.

If the machine's firmware has no clue of GPT but of MBR partition tables,
then it would accept the "protective" partition of type 0xee in the MBR
partition table which announces the presence of GPT. (That's a legacy
precaution of GPT.)

Further, if the firmware does not know about GPT, it cannot be EFI.
Since Google reports that Toshiba P105-S6187 uses an Intel Core 2 processor,
i would then expect the firmware to be PC-BIOS.
PC-BIOS does not rely on partitions or offer a INT call to interpret a
partition table.

So it's up to the booted software to interpret partition tables and to
represent them as storage devices.
This software is supposed to be GRUB, which should be able to recognize
GPT if module part_gpt ist installed.

So i wonder: Does your GRUB configuration enable part_gpt ?
I read in the web and in Debian ISOs the line

  insmod part_gpt

Have a nice day :)

Thomas