Re: Installing Buster (improvements)

On 6/30/20 1:36 PM, Klaus Jantzen wrote:
Hello,

today I installed Buster on my laptop.

It would be very helpful to know which of the many install ISOs you used.
As usual it ran very well (at the end). But I would like to suggest the follwing improvements to the Graphical install:

a) At some point the process informed me, that a firmware module is missing and asked whether I would like to supply it from a disk, a USB stick or from the net. As I had this module from another installation on a USB stick I stuck it into the laptop. The install process did not even look at it; it was looking only for network devices.
How do we know that "The install process did not even look at it"?

BTW: in the future if you expect the need for firmware I suggest using one of the many unofficial non-free firmware ISOs.

b) Before I started the installation I defined a partition of 150GB on the disk (SSD) for Debian. At some point in the process the system informed me that I did not provide a swap partition (I had hoped the installation process would allocate that automatically from the space provided) and asked whether I want to define that partition.
This is normal, you have many options. Sometimes swap is not wanted.
As there was some room left on the disk I was ready to do it. The system asked for the data of where that partition should lie in terms of 'cylinder/sector/head' (or something like it). Now usually I am not concerned with this type of data and even more so as I was installing debian on an SSD. As there was no way I could solve this problem directly I had to abort the installation, define the swap partition and restart the installion process.
It is unfortunate that you did not read any of the Debian Wiki install manuals and tutorials before you started.

I suggest you start reading here: https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/installmanual

Couldn't that be done more user friendly? Especially in view of the fact that I assume  that Graphical Install is not supposed to be an Expert installation.

That was a poor assumption. Again, the install manual covers that.

c) When entering the passwords for root and for the user there are always two lines: one for entering the password, the other where one clicks if one wants to see the password.

I suggest that these two line be switched: the first  for the selection for seeing the password, the second for entering the password.  Again a little increase in user friendlyness.

There are tons of ISOs and methods. Best of luck next time.