Re: Installing/launching MATE in a command line environment

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 04:44:46PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> If I run a gui, I prefer to be logged in before that gui starts up.
> Probably systemctl disable lightdm as root then editing startx such that
> the last line runs mate gets something like this done.

That's rather heavy-handed.

startx runs the user's ~/.xsession or, if no such file exists, the
user's ~/.xinitrc or, if no such file exists, the system-wide
/etc/X11/Xsession script.

The Debian /etc/X11/Xsession script runs the desktop environment
or window manager that was selected via the Debian "alternatives"
system, by checking for /usr/bin/x-session-manager or
/usr/bin/x-window-manager.  Both of which are configured via
update-alternatives.

A typical user running "startx" will either rely on the alternatives
system to decide what programs to run for the X session, or will write
a ~/.xsession file to take full control.

Editing startx itself is not a common choice, and I wouldn't recommend
it -- if for no other reason than simply because your edits will be
lost when the package is updated.