Re: Installing/launching MATE in a command line environment

On Sun 28 Jun 2020 at 11:02:53 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 06/28/2020 10:15 AM, David Wright wrote:
> > On Sun 28 Jun 2020 at 08:21:29 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > The default install of the MATE desktop installs too much I don't want.
> > > Unfortunately the Debian installer does not allow coerces the
> > > installation of "recommended" packages.
> > >
> > > Therefore I did an install without *ANY* desktop environment.
> > > [Used DVD1 of Debian 8.6, latest for which I had a physical DVD]
> > >
> > > I then did
> > > apt-get --no-install-recommends install mate-desktop-environment gparted
> > >
> > > On reboot the desktop did not appear.
> > >
> > > What is the forgotten command to automatically launch the desktop at boot?
> >
> > You appear to want to install MATE manually without Recommends, rather
> > than within the d-i and with Recommends.
>
> Yes.
>
> > In that case, you should
> > install task-mate-desktop, not just mate-desktop-environment:
> >
> >      Package: task-mate-desktop
> >      Depends: tasksel (= 3.53), task-desktop, mate-desktop-environment, lightdm
> >      Recommends: gimp, synaptic, libreoffice, libreoffice-help-en-us, mythes-en-us, hunspell-en-us, hyphen-en-us, network-manager-gnome, orca, libreoffice-gtk3
> >        This task package is used to install the Debian desktop, featuring
> >        the MATE desktop environment, and with other packages that Debian users
> >        expect to have available on the desktop.
> >

> Just tried that. Now the boot process does NOT complete.
> It may have collided with other things I have tried.
> I'll redo all from scratch to to eliminate that possibility.
> This time I'll create a log file.
> I'm not sure If I'll get back to it until tomorrow.
> Thanks.

All good stuff. All very interesting. All very resolvable when a user
has a clue what he is doing. We have gone from unable to boot the MATE
desktop to not being able to boot at all! Carry on installing. :)

Debian installs Recommends: by default. Your issue demonstrates exactly
why it was made so.

--
Brian.