Re: Installing/launching MATE in a command line environment

On Sun 28 Jun 2020 at 08:21:29 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> The default install of the MATE desktop installs too much I don't want.

Mmm.

> Unfortunately the Debian installer does not allow coerces the installation
> of "recommended" packages.

This is not correct. The installer allows a determined user to override
the usual behaviour of tasksel. You are aware of this. Your choice; you
can coerce d-i into dong what you want.

The behaviour of tasksel is only "unfortunate" for your intended use.
For the vast majority of users it is exactly right. Those who take
another route would do well not to make assumptions and research the
possible outcome of their intended actions.

--
Brian.