Firefox shrinks to horizontal bar when viewing youtube video and scrolling vertically

Aside: emailing from a different computer -- "Reply to:" will get to the right
computer.  (I decided to use pasteboard, didn't wait for a better suggestion
-- I hope the images are accessible.)

Problem with viewing Youtube videos on Firefox version 68.9.0 on Jessie (but
not with the same version on Buster (well, at least so far):

General statement of problem:

On Jessie (depending on circumstances, more below), if I move the vertical
scrollbar at all, the video shrinks to a tiny bar near the upper right hand
corner of the screen (see screenshots).  The only way I've found to undo the
problem is to reload the page (and not touch the vertical scrollbar).

General statement of importance / criticality of the problem (to me):

I can live with this problem (aside: somewhat at least -- I was going to
transition from my daily driver Wheezy system to the Jessie system, now I'm
not so sure) (oh, I do plan to continue to use kmail on Wheezy for email (with
mbox for email storage) -- too many problems on Jessie and Buster).

The point of saying I can live with this is that I'm probably not going to put
much effort into finding and solving the problem unless someone else has some
experience with the same problem.  (I have googled, maybe with the wrong
searchwords, but have not found anything of real relevance -- I did find some
problems that mentioned scrolling but nothing like this.)

The problem in more detail, with screenshots:

Screenshots

My file name	link on pasteboard	discussion

ff_s31_postproblem.png       https://pasteboard.co/Jea4KeN.png	This shows the
result of the problem -- notice the dark bar near the upper right hand corner
-- the video has shrunk to that size after I've moved the vertical scroll bar
even a very little bit.

ff_s31_noproblem.png          https://pasteboard.co/Jea2HO0.png	On my other
computers, when I view a youtube video (without expanding it to full screen),
I see this -- note the list of other videos in the column on the right hand
side.

ff_s31_preproblem_b.png      https://pasteboard.co/Jea9W1Up.png		Most of the
time when I view a youtube video on my Jessie system, it looks like either
this or the next screenshot.  In this screenshot, notice the absence of the
list of other videos to the right of the video.  If I move the vertical
scrollbar, the video shrinks as described above.

ff_s31_preproblem.png          https://pasteboard.co/Jea5z1Y0.png	Most of the
time when I view a youtube video on my Jessie system, it looks like either
this or the next screenshot.  In this screenshot, notice the absence of the
list of other videos to the right of the video.  If I move the vertical
scrollbar, the video shrinks as described above.

Very occasionally (well, once so far), somehow (magically, I presume), when I
opened a youtube video on Jessie it looked like the "noproblem" screen shot --
in that case, moving the vertical scrollbar was not a problem.

Has anyone here experienced something similar?

This is one set of google searchwords I used: [youtube on firefox image shrinks
scroll] -- suggestions for better searchwords might be helpful.